Acupuncture Supports Immunity
It’s been just over two months since I reopened the acupuncture clinic after the restrictions eased, and it has been fantastic to see my wonderful clients again!
So many people have been suffering during lockdown. Coronavirus may have hit but that didn’t mean every other health issue disappeared. People have struggled with chronic pain, depression, weight gain, high levels of stress and anxiety – all of which can be effectively managed with Acupuncture.
Clinic is safe and welcoming
Right from the beginning when I opened my clinic over 14 years ago I put strict cleaning and hygiene measures in place, so it was simple to meet the guidelines for reopening after lockdown. The British Acupuncture Council Code of Safe Practice sets the standards I must meet and maintain every day. These include:
- Wearing a clean and well-maintained uniform
- Frequent handwashing
- Sanitising the couch and changing the paper couch roll in-between each appointment
- Using high quality single use needles and a sharps bucket for needle disposal
Following these guidelines has meant that I have neither spread or contracted anything to or from any of my patients. I hope this reassures you about coming for an appointment – my clinic is as safe and welcoming as ever!
Building immune resilience
Late summer is the perfect time to start preparing for the latter part of the year. Autumn, with its energies of change and transition will soon be here and this is a great time to start building our immune resilience to colds and flu.
Prevention is better than cure when it comes to immunity. It is better to do what we can to reduce the likelihood of getting an infection, rather than wait and see what happens if we pick something up.
Research shows acupuncture has a profound influence on immunity. Needling specific points can:
- Enhance natural killer cell activity.
- Modulate the numbers and ratios of immune cells.
- Stimulate nerves to release endorphins and other chemicals that reduce pain.
- Increase local microcirculation to alleviate inflammation and swelling.
Digestion & Immunity
A major part of our immune system resides in the gut, in the form of bacteria and yeasts known as the gut microbiome. These microbes communicate constantly with all parts of the body – including immune cells. If you are struggling with any digestive complaints – Irritable Bowel Syndrome, bloating, excess gas, heartburn – your gut microbiome may be affected. It’s important to get help for these symptoms so that your nutrient absorption and immunity isn’t compromised. I see many clients with all manner of digestive conditions, for which Acupuncture is highly effective.
Sleep, relaxation & nutrition
Acupuncture is an holistic form of care and I always offer lifestyle support to my clients to complement their treatments. When it comes to building immune resilience, it is vital to look at:
- Sleep: just one bad night’s sleep can lower your immune defences the next day. If you have any difficulties sleeping, get in touch with me right away!
- Anti-inflammatory foods: oily fish, brightly coloured vegetables, dark chocolate, ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, green tea, and seasonal native fruits all provide powerful compounds that support immunity and help manage inflammation.
- Foods to support the gut microbiome: these include fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kefir, yoghurt, and kimchi; and soluble fibre found in vegetables, lentils, oats, and beans.
- Regular moderate exercise: daily movement has a significant positive effect on immunity – get outside if you can, to enjoy fresh air and natural daylight.
- Social interactions: this has been hard for many people during lockdown, but it’s important to keep in touch with friends and family as we are wired to benefit from human interaction.
Paying attention to these areas brings benefits not just to our immunity, but our energy and overall well being too.
Are you looking to strengthen your immune defences?
Do you need support with digestion, immunity, or insomnia?
Call me TODAY on 07788 633292 or email email@example.com
Discover what previous clients think about their Acupuncture treatments with these independent testimonials at Free Index.